|Location||In the south central part of the Eastern U.P. on the right bank of Ganges in the District of Mirzapur, U.P., India|
|Climate||22°-40° Celsius in Summer, 12°-33° Celsius in Winter|
|Ideal time||Oct-March, during different festivals (see fairs and festivals)|
|Languages Spoken||Hindi and English|
|Handicrafts||Hand knotted Carpets and Rugs,Blue Potteries, toys of Chunar stone, Sculptures and Brassware|
|Local Transport||Cycle rickshaw/auto rickshaw/taxi|
|Local Transport||Taxi/auto rickshaw/cycle rickshaw|
|How to reach||
Mirzapur City is the district Headquarter of the district of the same name since 1861 and Municipal Board, which came into existence in 1867, is comprised of two towns Mirzapur and Vindhyachal (including Kantit). Being the district headquarter it has attracted development activities of all sorts.
Situated on the right bank of river Ganges, Mirzapur town came into existence in 17th century. The city enjoys the contact point location between two physical regions- the Vindhyan Plateau and the Gangetic Plain. The town is situated on one of the large river bends of Ganges with solid high ground on which the entire town seems to exist and spreading in east-westward direction along the lines of thoroughfare and parallel to the river. Mirzapur city is surrounded by a great deal of natural beauty spots, such as hillocks, rivers, waterfalls and wildlife. Many important temples and shrines of historical and religious importance are situated in its vicinity. Smooth topography, navigability and nodality are the main factors for its establishment as trade centre and development of carpet and other cottage industries. In the 18th century the whole region was one of the granted territories of Nawab of Awadh, perhaps during the time of Balwant Singh, the Raja of Benaras who acquired the whole Mirzapur except the fort of Chunar in 1750, the Mirzapur town started flourishing as a large Urban Centre.
The earliest mention of the city can be seen in the writings of Tieffenthaler (1760-1770), in which Mirzapur has been mentioned as a great mart. In the Jonathan Duncans (who was the resident at Varanasi during 1787-1795) record, Mirzapur town has been frequently mentioned as an important trade centre even before 1775. This was an important and prosperous Commercial trade centre till 1894. When East Indian Railway was introduced, then business from here shifted to other towns like Varanasi and Allahabad and Mirzapur as commercial centre began to slide from which it could never recover.
Ghats: Along the riverfront there are many Ghats and temples in Mirzapur. Great number of people comes to Ghats for bathing, worshipping and boat riding. Many fairs are also held here throughout the year.
Handicrafts: Ceramic blue potteries of Chunar and toys, stone sculptures, brass, German silver and copper ware, hand knotted woolen carpets and rugs, hand carved wooden toys painted in flashy colours are specialty of Mirzapur and its surrounding region.
Music: Mirzapur area has contributed a lot to the traditions of Indian Classical music specially Kajali and Birha.